Prof. Jonathan Kraemer will be leading an Online Biblical Hebrew course beginning in September. CLS is offering this full year, distance, non-credit, Hebrew course starting on September 4. The cost is $250 per semester, plus materials. Students will work on their own and meet weekly via videoconference.
The course is intended to bring students to a level of competency in Biblical Hebrew that will prepare them for exegetical studies in the Master of Divinity degree program.
Contact the Registrar, Jeff Nachtigall, to register, or with any questions that you might have.
The following is the complete invitation to register for this course:
An invitation to Biblical Hebrew
Whether you are a pre-seminary student needing your language requirement, a pastor brushing up, or an interested layperson, you are invited to join an upcoming non-credit Biblical Hebrew Course at Concordia Lutheran Seminary. There are no pre-requisites for the course, just an interest in reading the Old Testament in its original language and a willingness to work at it on a regular basis.
The approach to this course is probably quite different than many others you have experienced. Using distance delivery, it is a combination of independent work and face-to-face online interaction. The course’s core content is provided by Drs. Gary Pratico, and Miles Van Pelt co-authors of the best-selling Basics of Biblical Hebrew curriculum. Their print materials (textbook and workbook) are accompanied by recorded lectures, available on DVD. Together, these resources present the bulk of the teaching of each week’s lesson. Accompanying Drs. Pratico and Van Pelt is Professor Jonathan Kraemer, CLS’ professor of Old Testament. He is the co-ordinator, tutor, and “live” resource person for the course. He will conduct one scheduled, live session per week with the whole class via the Internet, and hold regular online “office hours” for individual or group assistance.
To help everyone succeed, each week’s lesson has seven segments. Ideally students will complete one of these each day in sequence, acquiring the language in frequent small doses. (However, the first four segments of each week's work can be grouped into two or three batches, if this is more convenient.)
(1) Read the chapter in the textbook. This should be just a cursory first reading of the chapter. Do not worry about memorizing anything (yet!). Time: 1.0 hour.
(2) View Dr. Van Pelt’s DVD lecture, teaching this material in depth. Time: 30 minutes.
(3) Return to the chapter and read it again, studying it in more detail. Time: 1-1.5 hrs.
(4) Complete the exercises in the Basics of Biblical Hebrew Workbook. Check your work against the answer key on the CD accompanying the textbook. Note any questions which you would like to discuss in class. Time: 1.0- 1.5 hours.
(5) Attend Prof. Kraemer’s online class (Monday evening, 7:00 - 8:30 pm MST), reviewing and discussing the week’s material.
(6) Take a practice quiz available online. Time: 20 minutes?
(7) Discuss any lingering questions or problems with Prof. Kraemer during his weekly online “office hours” session for individual help and instruction (Wednesday evening, 7:00 - 8:30 MST).
(8) Take the final quiz. Time: 20 minutes?
Duration: Full-year course (35 weeks), but separate registration for each semester
Fall semester: week of Sept 4 through week of Dec 18 (16 weeks)
Spring semester: week of Jan 6 through week of May 28, except week of Mar 17 (= spring break) (19 weeks)
Cost: $250 per semester
Old Testament Hebrew Vocabulary Cards. Zondervan, 2004. or Old Testament Hebrew Vocabulary Cards by iCode, Inc. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/old-testament-hebrew-vocabulary/id568110384?mt=8 (optional)
Pratico, Gary Davis, and Miles V Van Pelt. Basics of Biblical Hebrew. Grand Rapids, Mich.: Zondervan, 2007.
———. Basics of Biblical Hebrew Workbook. Grand Rapids, Mich.: Zondervan, 2007
———. Basics of Biblical Hebrew Vocabulary. Read by Jonathan T. Pennington. Grand Rapids, Mich.: Zondervan, 2006
Van Pelt, Miles V. Basics of Biblical Hebrew Video Lectures: A Complete Course for the Beginner. Grand Rapids, Mich.: Zondervan, 2012.
***All of the above, except the app, may be purchased as a package called: “Learn Biblical Hebrew Pack” ISBN: 0310513952 (note that amazon.ca says it has not been released yet and cannot be ordered. Indigo-chapters, however, does have it available.)
A mandatory orientation session takes place in CLS' online classroom on Weds 4 Sept at 7:00 - 8:30 pm MST. Students should begin their course-work within a day or two of this session. The first online class meeting is on Mon 9 Sept, 7:00 - 8:30 pm MST.
To apply, email firstname.lastname@example.org.