New Online Evening course via Videoconference:
CLS is offering SYS100 Theological Method, as an online evening course, beginning on Thursday, September 19th. This introductory Systematics class will be available to distant students, regardless of physical location, in addition to residential students.
The course is taught in two components:
- online structured discussion forums
- weekly 1-1/2 hour seminar that meets via live videoconference every Thursday night from 6:00 to 7:30 pm (MST).
SYS 100 Theological Method is an introduction to doing confessional Lutheran theology, this course covers such topics as theology as habitus, the nature and properties of Scripture and its place in the theological task, and issues surrounding confessional subscription. (3 credits)
Students must have completed a Bachelor's Degree from an accredited school. Any discipline is acceptable.
Students DO NOT NEED to have completed either Biblical Languages to register for this course.
Books Required (students are responsible for purchasing their own books):
· Bayer, Oswald. Theology the Lutheran Way. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2007.
· Forde, Gerhard O. On Being a Theologian of the Cross: Reflections on Luther’s Heidelberg Disputation, 1518. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1997.
· Kolb, Robert W., and Timothy J. Wengert, eds. The Book of Concord: The Confessions of the Evangelical Lutheran Church. Minneapolis: Fortress, 2000.
· Pieper, Francis. Christian Dogmatics. Vol. 1. St. Louis: Concordia, 1950.
Students need a good quality high speed internet connection, and a good quality computer with webcam, microphone, and headset. If you can watch YouTube videos and use software such as Skype with ease, you should be well equipped to participate in this class. (Slightly more detailed information here: http://www.concordiasem.ab.ca/academics/distance.php)
$780 tuition ($300 to audit only)
$50 Comprehensive Student Resource Fee (Part Time)