CLS encourages its community to attend Concordia University College of Alberta's week of events with visiting scholar and well known Lutheran composer, Dr. Carl F. Schalk.
Dr. Schalk has written hymntunes such as “Spirit of God, Unleashed on Earth,” “Sing my Tongue,” and “Now.” He has also been instrumental in editing magazines and creating hymnbooks (such as LBW).
Dr. Schalk will be leading CUCA's chapel throughout the week of Oct. 29 – Nov. 2, and presenting noonhour (12:00-12:50) Schalk Talks on a variety of topics:
- “Getting from There to Here - A Life in Church Music” (Mon, CUCA)
- “Choral Reading Session” music of Carl Schalk (Tues, CUCA)
- “First Person Singular” - a reading and commentary from his collection of short essays about Worship, Liturgy, and Children (Wed, CLS Chapel)
- “Choral Reading Session” music of Carl Schalk (Thurs, CUCA)
- Tuesday evening, 7:30 in CUCA's Tegler Centre, a FaithLife lecture, Luther on Music in the Church
- Thursday afternoon, 2:00 in Alumni 314 (CUCA), A Primer on Worship and Music in the Lutheran Tradition.